You might have read my article about the first time I created a vision board, but have you ever made one?
Essentially it’s a large poster that you construct to help you achieve your goals. It contains pictures and words that represent your goals.
For example, if you dream of taking a vacation to Italy, you could use pictures of the rolling hills of Tuscany, the gothic Duomo cathedral in Milan, a Venetian gondola, or the Colosseum in Rome.
It might sound a little “woo-woo”, but it really can be useful!
Consider what creating a vision board does for you:
- It helps you to decide on your goals
- It gets you to review your goals daily
- It increases your awareness of opportunities that could help you achieve your goals
It does not, however, magically bring the objects of your desire into your life without any work on your part. You still have to work, but a vision board can be invaluable.
Here’s how you can create and use an effective vision board:
- Decide what you want to be, do, and have. This is one of the primary reasons that vision boards can be so effective. They require you to think about what you want and to make a few choices.
- This might take a couple of days. Consider what you really want for your life. Think carefully and choose the things and experiences that are most important to you.
- Be bold. Dream big! If your vision board doesn’t inspire you, it won’t be effective.
- Find images that represent what you want to be, do, and have. You can look online or in magazines. What’s important is that you have the same feeling when you look at the photo as you do when you think about that thing. The sensations should match.
- Arrange your vision board in a way that pleases you. You can be orderly or use more of a collage style. Each goal can have its own board, or everything can be combined on a single board. There are no rules. Follow your instincts and allow your creativity to flow.
- Hang your vision board where you’ll see it frequently. If it’s sitting in the closet it isn’t of much use. Consider your daily activities and put your vision board where you’ll see it most often.
- Take a photo of your vision board. Use your phone and take a photo. That way you’ll have it wherever you go. You can always pull out your phone and view your board.
- Create a digital vision board and set it as your computer’s desktop wallpaper. This way you can see it frequently. If this type of vision board appeals to you, check out link below, where you can download free templates to use!
- Start and end our day with your vision board. At the very least, take a long look at your vision board when you first wake up and when you go to bed.
- Use a process to view your vision board. This about each goal you have and look t the photos that represent those goals. Allow yourself to feel excited about achieving that goal. Feel yourself on top of the mountain, losing 50 pounds, or driving that fancy car.
- Go through each item on your vision board and experience success in your mind and feel the excitement in your body.
- Be persistent. Vision boards don’t work overnight, but they do work. They remind you of your goals and keep them at the forefront of your mind. They allow you to experience positive feelings with regards to achieving your goals. Keep at it.
- Take action. Avoid the belief that your dream car will suddenly appear in your driveway one morning. You still have the responsibility to take action. Using your vision board will allow you to notice more opportunities. Take advantage of them.
Start your first vision board today and use it daily. There’s nothing to lose. It’s fun – and it can be more powerful than you think.
I mentioned above about digital vision boards. If you’d like to create one, click on the button below. Have fun!